Okay, so I'm watching "The Outer Limits" and staring at my MS fingerprint reader (which is pretty much useless to me as I am a firefox user and use domain logins to a samba box), when i decide that i am going to make it useful. I do some "googling" and find GrFinger. Looks good, download it, install the login manager.
That's when I hit the the same problem everyone else is having with this this POS MS device. So I give it the finger, literally, and check these forums. As it seems someone ought to come up with a solution, I decided to give it a shot (a long shot, as I am no genius).
Well, here is the solution I came up with:
1. Open the old ms-config and disable dpagnt.exe (I know, sounds familiar).
2. Download any2service (you can google it, I got it at snapfiles in the freeware section).
3. Install any2service (might as well, you just downloaded it).
4. Open any2service and make a new entry pointing to dpagnt.exe.
5. Apply the new "service" entry
6. Open your services manager in the control panel
7. Change your new service to automatic start.
Upon reboot your MS fingerprint reader should let you log on just fine, and you should be able to use the desktop identity app without the ms software popping up everytime you touch your scanner.
I did this about an hour ago and have tried to "break it" everyway I could. I'll be damned if the thing still doesn't work.
Hope this helps everyone who picked up one of the things. If this doesn't work for you, let me know.